was also known as John Seals. He was also known as Jahn Scales. He was also known as Jan Celes. John Sales was born circa 1585 at Lavenham, Suffolk, England. John Sales was born circa 1594 at England. He resided at at Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England. John Sales was born circa 1600. He resided at at Devonshire, England. He married Phillip Soales
on 11 August 1625. John Sales resided at at Charlestown, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, in 1630. He immigrated in 1630; with the Wintrop Fleet. He admitted as member #21, no wife is mentioned at Boston Church, Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, 27 August 1630. He was there "happened in this town (Charlestown) the first known thief that was nortoriously observed in this county. His name was John Sales who having stolen corn from many people in this scarce time was convicted thereof before the Court, & openly punished, & all he had by law condemed and sold to make restitution. In 1632 at Charlestown, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. He resided at at Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, in 1633. He was John Sayles being convicted of feloniously taking away corn and fish from diverse persons the last year and this, as also clapboard, etc, is censured by the Court after this manner: That all his estate shall be forfieted, out of which double restitution shall be made to those whom he hath wronged, shall be whipped, and bound out as servant with any that will retain him for three years, and after to be disposed of by the Court as they shall think meet. Hohn Sayle is bound with Mr. Coxeshall for 3 years, for which he is to gime him £4 per annum; his daughter is also bound with him for 14 years. Mr. Coxeshall is to have a sow with her, and at the end of her time he is to give unto her a cow calf. On 1 April 1633 at Charlestown, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. He was the court ordered that John Sayles shall be severely whipped for running from his master Mr. Coseall on 4 March 1633/34 at Charlestown, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. On 7 April 1635 it is referred to Mr. Treasurer (William Coddington) and Mr. Pynchon to examine and prepare the business betwixt Mr. coxeall, Sayles his daughter, and John Levens.
Jan Celes (Seals, Seales), an Englishman, received a lease, grant, or permission around this time (1638), to occupy a plantation lying north of the later Rutgers Swamp. The location on modern maps was about west of Macedougal St, its south line being 251 feet north of Canal St; and it extended as far north as the line of Clinton St., its westward boudary being the strand of the North River. This later became very well know as "Old Jan's Land." After Old Jan's death. Tonis Nyseen (his son-in-law) received a grant of the tract, April 3 1647. The parcel later became a part of the Trinity Church property. In 1638. He resided at at New Amsterdam, New York County, New York, in 1638. He was sued. Cornelius Lambertsen Cool vs. Jan Celes, for "damage which the defendant's hogs have caused the plaintiff" on 25 November 1638. He was law suit. The fiscal vs. John Selis of "having chased and wounded cattle," apparently the court had enough of Sales disregard for the law. It was testified that "ol Jan drove many cows and horses into the swamp" and "cut the cow of little Manuel with a chopping knife." He was ordered to pay damages, a fine of fl. 25 to the fiscal and costs. He was forbidden to repeat the offense, on "pain of banisment" on 26 November 1643. He married Maria Roberts
on 21 August 1644 at Dutch Reformed Church, New Amsterdam, New York County, New York; marriage intention. John Sales died in 1645. He left a will on 7 April 1645
Jan Celes. Being bounded and lying sick abed. He left half of his estate to his son -in-law Teunis Nyssen and the other half to his wife Marritjen Roberts as long as ser remained his widow or until her death if she did not re-marry.
He died before 9 August 1645 at New Netherlands.