Maj Theophilus Little Sr.
was born on 15 February 1744 or 26 February 1744. Maj Theophilus Little Sr. was born on 15 February 1743/44 at Eatontown, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He was the son of Judge John Little Jr.
and Moika Longstreet
. Maj Theophilus Little Sr. married Mary Polhemus
, daughter of Daniel Polhemus
and Margaretta Covenhoven
, on 26 January 1769 at Dutch Reformed Church, Freehold, Monmouth County, New Jersey. Maj Theophilus Little Sr. removed to at Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, in 1799. He died on 19 February 1825 at Eagles Mere, Sullivan County, Pennsylvania, at age 81. He was buried at Eagles Mere, Sullivan County, Pennsylvania.
BIOGRAPHY: Theophilis served in 1775 as a Lieutenant in Col. Sam Breese's Co. of the Shrewsbury Township Militia; 1776: Commissioned Lieutenant, 1st Reg. Monmouth County Militia; 1776: Served in Nathaniel Heard's Brigade of "Minute Men," Continental Army, and took part in battles of Long Island and Harlem Hieghts; 1776: Served in Capt. Joseph I. Stilwell Company, 1st Reg.,Monmouth Militia; 1777: Promoted to Captain on the 27th of Sept; 1778: Captured May 27; transferred to Sugar House, NYC in June; 1778: Released Aug 11 at New Entrecht, Long Island; 1779: Captain in Col. Asher Holmes' Regiment, Monmouth County Militia. Theophilis was a prisoner during the Battle of Monmouth (D.A.R. records and NJ Archives).
In 1799, Theophilus traveled with friend George Lewis to Lycoming County, Pennsylvania where they co-jointly purchased 9,500 acres from Joseph Priestly and his wife.
Theophilus was an early pioneer and instrumental in the development of the county. Shrewsbury Township was established by a decree of the Court of Lycoming in 1803 and at that time embraced the whole of what is now Sullivan County. It is said that Theophilus Little gave it the name of Shrewsbury, that being the name of the Township where the Little family came from in Monmouth County, New Jersey (Streby's History of Sullivan County, 1903; History of Lycoming County by Meginnes, 1892, p. 567)
On July 2, 1804, Priestly and his wife Elizabeth deeded to Theophilus All of the tracts of the land situate lying and being in Lycoming Cunty on the waters of Loyasock and Muncy Creeks containing 4,500 acres wtih allowances for highways, xxx containing tracts No. 8, called Copeland, No. 9 called Hempfield, No. 10 called Belfast, No. 11 called Wilmington, No.12 called Springfield, No.13 called Woodbridge, No. 14 called Rangers Lodge, S1/2 of 15, No. 16 called Hope, No. 17 called Dovers, N1/2 of 25 called Milford, and No. 28 called Union. (Deeds, Book 5, pages 211, 212, 213, Lycoming County Court House)
On the same day, Theophilus deeded to his nephew Peter Knott 1051 acres adjoining his purchase for $1576 (Book 7, page 7), as well as 600 acres to John Garrison Holmes near the Little purchase (Book 6, page 128). Holmes moved to this area before 1810 with his family. Theophilus then returned to New Jersey where he remained actively engaged in the operation of his farms until 1813.
On 25 Jan 1811, Theophilus' son Thomas purcahsed 160 acres on Muncy Creek from John Lochard for $195 (Book 9, page 316). In November of the same year, Theophilus purchased an additional 402.5 acres from Priestly (Book 12, page 122). His sons Daniel and Tobias Little came with their families in 1804 and commenced to improve the land. A settlement called "Little's Corners" was established about a mile west of Eaglesmere and Lewis Lake at a point where the State Highway from Eaglesmere now joins the highway from Forksville to Muncy Valley. (from http://www.rootsweb.com/~pasulliv/settlers/settlers25/settlers25.htm).